Monday, July 18, 2011

A faithful day.....

Soooo, my son is turning 2 on Friday. Yikes! I have a 2 year old. When did that happen? But more honestly, how did that happen? Just yesterday he was a mere thought and I was navigating my way through amazon.com finding crib sheets for little boys. The past 2 years have been great...WRONG! The past 2 years have been hard, challenging, tearful, annoying, long, but in all honesty I wouldn't trade them for anything.
When Ethan was born he spent several weeks in the NICU. As a new mom you NEVER expect that your new little wonder would be sick, let alone so sick you could actually loose him. Loose him! Loose him before you got to see what color his eyes were. Loose him before you got to see him smile or giggle or run or play with other kids.
Luckily, that was not in plan, nor in God's. 4 days shy of 2 years, my little man is going strong and is living up to all the stories and tales I have heard about having a little boy.
The day he was born, I said a prayer. Not knowing that 23 hours later he would be here, I said a prayer I had said many times in the past. It was "that prayer" that we say on the fly, when we want to say...something, but are tired, worn out, or simply not in the mood. It was based on the verse Zephania 3:17, for the Lord Your God is strong and mighty to save. How true, right? He is strong when we aren't. He is strong when we can't be. It seems simple and profound and wonderful all at the same time. But, it wasn't until that faithful day...that day my son was hooked up to more tubes and needles and machines than I could count, that I realized just how mighty, just how big, He truly is.
I'm sitting here watching Ethan play with books and blocks and talking to himself (which he does a lot). He loves balls and cars and thinks it's hilarious when he "toots." I don't know what I would do if he had not gotten to come home with me all those weeks later. Several months ago I tattooed that verse on my left wrist. Not to be cool or hip (let's just face it, I have never been those things, no need trying now.....hahahahaha), but to remind myself daily (and anyone who asks about it) that I am not big enough to save. I am not strong enough to be strong alone. But my God is. And at the time I said that prayer, the morning before my beautiful baby boy was born, my God knew I needed His strength. My God knew I needed His mighty hand.
So, as I walk through today, that's what I know. My God is faithful when I am not. My God is strong when I cannot be, when my baby boy couldn't be. My God is mighty......that's what I know today.

1 comment:

  1. I love this!
    1 Chronicles 16:11 Seek the LORD and his strength; seek his presence continually!

    ReplyDelete