Thursday, July 28, 2011

Do I measure up?

In some way, shape or form I think all of us ask ourselves this everyday. Do I measure up? As a mom? As a spouse? As a daughter, sister, friend? As an employee? As a boss? Do I measure up to the expectations of those around me....or dare I say it....to my own expectations? How often do we try and measure up to standards that we have set on ourselves that are much higher than those that others have set? Not to say that keeping our standards high is a bad thing.


I need constant reminding not to measure myself against others, their families, their jobs, their friends, their relationships. How many times do we compare ourselves to others throughout any given day? It's crazy when you think about it. But it's probably one of the hardest things NOT to do.

For those of you who need a reminder today....
You are accepted. Take a moment and remember that there are people in your life who accept you. For every roll, dimple, gray hair and stretch mark! They love you no matter what and, even more importantly, accept you no matter what.
You are secure. If you know Jesus, you are secure. You are a child of the One who says, "Come to Me and I will keep you." Don't forget that. It's important. When you don't think you can pay the bills. When you don't think your kids will ever listen to you. You are secure and Jesus has you in His hands.
Okay, here is the most important one.....
You are significant. That takes some getting use to. Understanding who you are and what you mean to Him, is a lifetime process.
I'm only just now starting to get it, but man....this takes a while.
As I write this I am remembering a very specific conversation I had with my mom one day. I don't even remember the context in which we were talking, but she said something to me that I will NEVER forget. She told me that she loved me (duh?), but then she got very quiet and turned to me and said, but I like you! That has stuck with me all these years. It was all three of those lessons tied up in one sentence, " I like you."
So, once again, let me remind you...
You are accepted, secure and significant!

No comments:

Post a Comment