Monday, August 8, 2011

Hungry???

Every day I get sent a devotional. Today's was about having an insatiable hunger for Jesus and His love. I read it, I agreed with it, I thought about it, I wanted to be able to write that I too have an insatiable hunger for Jesus. I stopped half way through my morning. Do I have this? Do I even understand what this means?
When I think about an insatiable hunger for God, I think blaring my Natalie Grant CD while on my way to a church service where I will learn how to make my $1 stretch and feed an entire village in Haiti. All while wearing an I love Jesus t-shirt and a WWJD bracelet, a bag of "Meet My God" pamphlets and the sinner's prayer memorized. Obviously, this is wrong. Insatiable hunger, in my opinion, is not this. This seems misguided to me. BUT, how many times have we encountered someone who DOES think this way, Christian or non? How many people have we met that find out we are a Christian and automatically go here?
I think, like a lot of us, we are in desperate desire to want a true insatiable hunger for Christ, but perhaps we need to take baby steps. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean not ready to be insatiably hungry for God, but some of us just need to be able to say, "ok, I can't (fill in the blank) so You (fill in the blank)." Some of us just need to be able to sit down and trust that the rest of the day, week, month, will be okay because we know He will take care of us. Maybe there are those of us who need to just trust that this moment is going to be taken care of (even if my "I love JC" t shirt is in the wash!). I think so many times we get caught up in being the perfect Christian or even a Christian that has the outward appearance of being perfect. Guess what? Not gonna happen.
So here is my challenge...desire to have an insatiable hunger for your Lord. BUT, understand that if your hunger is not "insatiable" right now, it can be....

No comments:

Post a Comment